There are absolutely so many reasons why you should learn a new language. From increasing your memory to opening many doors for adventure and exploring. I’m here to list you my top 5 reasons as to why you should learn a new language.
- Fluency in several languages breaks down barriers. No one enjoys feeling left out, or uncomfortable & that’s usually the case with foreign language barriers. Except, when you speak several languages it’s much easier to communicate and have conversations with others. This goes hand in hand with work as well as relationships/friendships. It’s always comforting to be able to naturally express yourself and not have to hold back.
- You’ll establish cross cultural friendships. It’s most likely that we’ve all experienced a moment when we wish we spoke that persons native tongue so that we could spark up an intriguing conversation. More languages means more wonderful conversations and experiences. I promise you, your circle of friends will expand. You’ll also learn so many interesting facts about several countries & cultures that you probably had no idea about. Plus you’ll be able to visit your new friends and as we all know, its always best to explore & discover with a local.
- Travelling is the best way to learn a new language. We’ve all heard this before. There is no better way to learn a new language than to truly immerse yourself into that culture. This is the perfect reason for one to travel, to explore, and to step out of that comfort zone. I can guarantee that learning a new language will lead you to opportunities you never even imagined! All it takes, is to step out of your comfort zone (to be okay with looking like a “fool” sometimes) and to begin to try new things.
- Whether you’re bilingual or multilingual a world of opportunities will certainly open up for you. It is definitely an advantage to speak several languages. Individuals that speak more than one language are more likely to find a job & can actually spark up competition when it comes to job opportunities. Learning a new language can even transform your life and help you pursue your dreams and goals to become successful.
- Improves the functionality of your brain. Learning a new language really helps improve your listening and memory skills. A positive outcome is that each new language becomes easier and easier. Apart from the fact that it’ll help you fight off Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, you also become a better person by feeling more confident in yourself and less judgmental towards others.
So stop making excuses and start learning that foreign language you’ve always wanted to know! Luckily, we go to a very diverse University. At CEU Valencia we have so many opportunities to become multilingual. You’ll certainly be able to put it into practice with other international students. Click here to be guided to CEU’s language services. Kudos to everyone who made their way over to Spain & is learning Spanish. Don’t give up! You got this!