ECIE, DELE & SIELE: choose the Spanish exam to suit you

If you are studying Physiotherapy or a bilingual degree at CEU UCH, you probably already know that you must demonstrate at least a B1 level of Spanish in order to register for the third year. You can do this by sitting a Spanish exam, but you do not need to do so if you possess:

  • A passport or national ID card from a Spanish-speaking country, or
  • one of the certificates listed in this table.

If you meet one of these criteria, then submit your document to us by filling in this form.

But if you do not possess one of these documents, then the University’s Languages Service can offer you three different ways in which you can get the language certificate that you need. They have different characteristics but each of them is equally valid for you to meet the University’s language requirements.

ECIE Spanish exam

The ECIE is an internal B1 Spanish exam at the University. By “internal”, we means that it is only recognized at CEU UCH to enable students to meet the language requirement for access to the third year of undergraduate degrees. It is a paper-based exam, which combines linguistic assessment with knowledge of academic and professional skills. Two of these exams take place every year: one at the beginning of the academic year (September/October) and another at the end (May). 

DELE and SIELE Spanish exams

The DELE and SIELE exams are offered by the Instituto Cervantes, and these certificates are valid at the University, in the rest of Spain, and across the world. The Languages Service organizes several exams of this type over the course of the academic year. For the dates, check out our noticeboard outside the office or our online Helpdesk. You can find out more about the differences between these two Spanish examinations here.

We have received a lot of feedback from students who have sat these exams, and they particularly agree on two things. We recommend you follow their advice:

  • Try to pass the exam soon as you can, and certainly don’t leave it until just before you need to register for the third year. The sooner you do it, the more chances you will have to pass the exam and get the level you need.
  • Make sure you’re ready to sit the exam you’ve chosen. In order to pass these exams, being able to communicate in Spanish won’t be enough. You’ll need to work on the grammar and vocabulary expected at a B1 level and on exam-specific techniques. To do this, we recommend that you attend the Spanish classes provided by the Languages Service. You can see the class timetables on our noticeboard and on our online Helpdesk.

¡Vamos! Don’t leave it until it’s too late. Choose the right exam for you and start getting ready today. Come to the Languages Service and we will be delighted to help you on your learning journey.

If you have any questions about what you need to do to fulfil the Spanish language requirement at the University, write to us at [email protected].


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here