The decision to go abroad is a big one, and your security in the destination country is definitely an important factor when choosing where to go: it is clear that nobody wants to be in danger. We feel the most secure in familiar surroundings and a familiar culture, but that doesn’t mean we should never leave our home. How else could we ever explore the rest of the world?
International students planning to study in Valencia have nothing to worry about as Spain is one of the safest countries in Europe and Valencia is among the safest Spanish cities. The National Police Force works hard to keep it that way, but the incoming international students are still recommended to observe certain safety precautions.
Here are some tips from the Police to make your stay in Valencia safer and to help you understand the Spanish law:
- Keep your belongings in sight
- Keep hold of your handbag and protect your belongings (phone, wallet, camera…) on public transport and in crowded areas
- Take only the essentials with you when you go to the beach
- If you are using a vehicle, lock any valuables out of sight
- Avoid isolated or badly lit places
- Beware of suspicious offers of “help”: thieves are known to use tricks to rob people
- Do not take part in gambling or buy bargains in the street: it will nearly always be a confidence trick or a swindle
- Your university ID is enough as a proof of identity. You do not need to carry your passport with you all the time, a copy of the passport is okay
- Remember to renew your visa on time!
- You are not allowed to consume alcohol in the street (fines from €60 up to €3000) nor use drugs in the street and inside bars (fines from €600 up to €10,000)
- If you are arrested by the police, the University will not be able to help you
If you are a victim of a crime or a witness to criminal activity, ask for help calling 091. You can also report it by calling 902 102 112 (several languages spoken). In addition, the mobile app AlertCops allows you to alert the nearest police with your geographic location, and it is user friendly as you can report crime by simply clicking icons according to the nature of the crime.